Thursday, August 26, 2010

Holy Crap! It's college football season!

I can't believe that 1 week from tonight (pretty much 1 week from when I write this) college football will be back in season as Ohio State kicks off against Marshall. As most people who know me know, I am a huge Buckeye fan. I am looking forward to this season as I think Ohio State should be playing for a national title this year. It all hinges on the ability of Terrell Pryor to develop as a quarterback and leader on the football field. The Rose Bowl was a good start, but hopefully it is only the tip of the iceburg. There is nothing I would like more than for the Buckeyes to beat an SEC team for the national championship.

That said, I spent some time reviewing the AP and Coaches preseason polls. After taking a look at them both I debated if I wanted to do my own top 25 poll. But I'd rather provide some commentary on the AP poll. There's more to talk about in the AP poll in my opinion. So with that said, here's a bit of commentary on the top 25. I'm going to start with 21-25 and work my way to the top over the next week, and provide a few thoughts on the teams, their preseason rankings and what I expect from this year. So without further ado:

25. West Virginia - It's hard to argue that West Virginia shouldn't be in the top 25. The Big East is easily the worst BCS conference, and I'd argue that the Mountain West is on par with the Big East. West Virginia could win the Big East depending on what Pitt is able to do this year, and if Cincinnati takes a step back, like expected, with the departure of Brian Kelly and stars Tony Pike and Marty Gilyard. But just as easily they could finish 3rd in an incredibly weak conference.

24. Oregon State - As much as I dislike the Big East, the Pac-10 isn't much better this year. And with that said, I think Oregon State isn't much worse than Oregon. They played them competitively last year and Oregon lost their start quarterback in the off-season. Oregon State is probably the second best team in the Pac-10 (I'm not counting USC since they aren't bowl eligible this year).

23. Georgia - I admittedly don't know a whole lot about Georgia this year, but I think they could be better than people think. Mark Richt is still on the hot seat as a coach, and I think Florida may take a bigger step back this year then people realize. I wouldn't be surprised if Georgia is a top 15 team when the season is over, possibly even top 10.

22. Auburn - Auburn is another SEC team that doesn't really excite me. Granted they have 15 returning starters and a huge recruiting class that should add some depth to their roster. They're a middle of the pack SEC team that isn't that will be more love than most teams because they play in the mighty SEC.

21. LSU - I have forever, and will forever, claimed that Les Miles is one of the most overrated coaches in all of college football. He backed into a national title in 2007 with Nick Sabin's recruits and has been average since then. LSU will win 8 or 9 games this year, but that's still underachieving. Miles will probably get fired if the Tigers only win 8 games, and that's exactly what I am predicting for this offensively starved team.

No comments:

Post a Comment