Friday, August 20, 2010

In case you haven't been watching - ESPN has lost all of their integrity

Am I the only one who seems to have noticed what a joke ESPN has become over the past couple of years? I mean seriously. It just keeps getting worse and worse. It's hard to pinpoint exactly when ESPN stopped caring about credible journalism and cared only about being some sort of pseudo-sports entertainment company. I mean seriously, it's gotten to the point where they try to build storylines like you see in professional wrestling. I mean this whole Brett Favre thing - will he, won't he. I get that it's a big story, one that any credible sports media outlet should cover. But at the same time I can't buy the way they've covered it. Last year Ed Werder was hiding in the bushes down by Favre's mansion and had inaccurate report after inaccurate report. Is this journalism? Its sensationalism at best.

What really ended up being the nail in the coffin for me was their handling of LeBron James over the past few weeks. LeBron James called ESPN and told them not to report the story that Delonte West had had a relationship with LeBron's mom or else he wouldn't do any interviews ever again with ESPN or an ESPN affiliate. Couple that with the fact they hosted the spectacle only known now as "The Decision" and I have fully opened my eyes to what ESPN is.

They aren't about any sort of sports journalism. They are about sensationalistic stories and pandering to big name athletes so that they can use their programming as a forum for star athletes to promote themselves and stroke their ego's. I find it odd that across the country other sports writers, talk show hosts, and newspapers had the stones to put LeBron down for his handling of his free agency. Only ESPN put pundit after pundit on the air defending LeBron and seemingly refusing to call into question his decision making abilities. If the rest of the country is attacking LeBron why is everyone at ESPN not saying anything bad about him, unless of course LeBron has some kind of deal with ESPN to protect his image. Then there's the story that was pulled from ESPN that details LeBron's actions in Vegas, and paints a picture of him as a spoiled diva. Again, where's the integrity?

My issue with ESPN isn't so much with the material that they post on their website and air on their programming. It's how they try to present themselves. I've got news for you ESPN - you aren't a sports news network. You're an entertainment channel and a forum of diva athletes to promote themselves. Once you stop pretending that you're something else, maybe I'll come back to you for my sports news. Until then, I'll pass on Sportscenter, PTI, and Around the Horn and head over to cbssports.com. At least they aren't trying to be something the aren't, and can post news with a bit of integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment